It is with deep sadness that we have learned that our beloved and greatly admired colleagues Joep Lange and Jacqueline van Tongeren were on board Malaysian Airlines flight MH17. They were en route to the International AIDS Conference in Melbourne.
Onno Schellekens, managing director of PharmAccess: "Joep Lange was founder of PharmAccess, chairman of the supervisory board and inspirator to all of us. This is a massive loss. We are devastated. Joep's dedication to the treatment of HIV/Aids and global health in general has been groundbreaking. With the support of many public and private organizations, most notably the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, he has played an invaluable role in the international global health community."
Jacqueline and Joep's dedication to their work in the field of HIV/Aids and health in general, have saved countless lives and inspired many people working towards quality healthcare for all.
Our thoughts go out to their family, friends and colleagues, especially Joep's son Max, his four daughters Anna, Maria, Martha and Ottla, and their mother Heleen, Joep's brother Jean and his sister Rietje, and Jacqueline's mother Pamela, her brother Philip and her sister Alexandra. We wish them much strength in dealing with this enormous loss.
All staff at AIGHD and PharmAccess
* * * * * * *
Please find a selection of media coverage below:
- Forbes: Joep Lange, the physician scientist before the medical diplomat
- New York Times: Leading AIDS Researcher, 'Always Traveling', Is Killed on His Way to a Conference
- Huffington Post: Malaysian Airlines MH17 Flight Carried up to 100 AIDS researchers: 'The cure for AIDS could have been on that plane'
- New Republic: AIDS Researcher Who Died in Malaysia Airline Crash Was a Scientific Hero
- Washington Post: Joep Lange Confirmed Among Dead in Malaysia Jet Shoot-Down
- Wall Street Journal Live: AIDS pioneer Joep Lange Mourned as MH17 Passenger
- CBS News: Victim of MH17: Remembering visionary of AIDS research
- NBC News: Obama Praises AIDS Experts Killed in Malaysian Air Disaster
- Nature: Scientist Who Brought HIV Therapy to the Poor among MH17 Victims
- NPR: Joep Lange, Who Died On Flight MH17, Changed The Way We Fight AIDS