Private Health Sector Development Advisor: Short-term Technical Assistance (STTA) Consultancy Scope of Work
Deliverable based assignment
Duration: June 14, 2021 – September 15, 2021
Reports to: Program Manager, IHP and State Director, IHP Sokoto
The USAID Integrated Health Program (IHP) in Nigeria is designed to contribute to state-level reductions in child and maternal morbidity and mortality and to increase the capacity of the health system (public and private sectors) to sustainably support high-quality primary healthcare services that include integrated reproductive health and family planning, maternal, newborn, child, and adolescent health, plus nutrition and malaria (RMNCAH+NM) services in Sokoto State.
According to National Health Accounts 2017 data, private sector facilities account for 53.5% of the essential services delivered in Nigeria. The 2018 Nigeria Demographic and Health Survey found that the private sector is reported as an important source of primary health care services for treatment of fever/malaria (62.3%), modern contraceptives (42.2%), treatment for children with symptoms of ARI (50%), and less so for facility-based deliveries (13%). In-depth data and information on the private sector in Sokoto State are limited and in early 2020 IHP conducted a Private Sector Landscape Assessment (PSLA) to gain deeper insight into the for-profit private health sector’s strengths and weaknesses.
The PSLA provides several recommendations for strengthening private health sector engagement in health. IHP will work closely with relevant state departments, private health sector and other stakeholders in Sokoto to prioritize and implement some of the key recommendations of the PSLA.
Purpose of the position
PharmAccess is looking for a consultant to work in Sokoto with the Sokoto State Ministry of Health (SMOH), the National Primary Health Care Development Agency and IHP technical team to provide technical assistance for the development of a Sokoto State market-based private sector engagement strategy based on the findings and recommendations of the IHP Private Sector Landscape Analysis (PSLA).
Roles and Responsibilities
In collaboration and consultation with IHP’s field and HQ experts, undertake the following activities:
- Organize and facilitate a multi-day stakeholder engagement workshop to initiate discussions with key government and private sector stakeholders on how to increase private sector engagement in the health sector. The workshop is envisioned to target different groups of stakeholders across several different sessions and will start with presenting key findings from the Sokoto State PSLA. The consultant will:
- Arrange for IHP to present the findings of the Sokoto State PSLA.
- Consult closely with the IHP Sokoto team to leverage existing relationships with SMOH, other state government officials, and private sector stakeholders to identify key influencers.
- Lead workshop preparations in close collaboration with the State MOH and IHP Sokoto team, including ensuring that proper protocols are followed for government officials, invitations, etc.
- Prepare the list of participants (government, private sector, and key stakeholders), agenda, organize, and facilitate the multi-day workshop in collaboration with SMOH and the IHP Sokoto team, ensuring participation from key stakeholders.
- Facilitate a plenary of the senior officials from the government, private health sector and partners at the workshop and guide a consensus around the next steps for the PSLA recommendations.
- Write a report of the workshop and agreed upon next steps.
- Follow-up on agreed upon next steps from the workshop, support development of a costed private sector engagement strategy and advocate for its inclusion in the five-year State Strategic Health Plan (2018 -2022):
- Facilitate setting up of a multi-stakeholder taskforce for development of a state PSE strategy. The taskforce will be comprised of the Government, private health sector, national and international organizations.
- Facilitate the taskforce meetings, set agenda, lead discussions, and collect buy-in of the taskforce members on the strategic plan.
- As necessary, conduct discussions with key stakeholders to get their buy-in on the PSE strategy.
- Work closely with the SMOH and IHP to develop the outline/framework of the strategic plan, facilitate presentation of the framework to the taskforce and finalize the framework.
- Work closely with the SMOH and IHP to draft the first version of the PSE strategy and support the SMOH in presenting it during a stakeholders’ workshop. The first version of the strategic plan should include illustrative resources requirements (inputs such as human resources) for implementation of the strategy and an M&E results framework.
- Elicit feedback on the drafts from IHP in-country and Palladium HQ and incorporate into the draft documents.
- Incorporate the feedback of stakeholders and assist the SMOH in preparing the final draft of the PSE strategy.
- Assist the SMOH with dissemination of the strategic plan to stakeholders through a dissemination workshop.
- Advocate for inclusion in the next State Strategic Health Plan (2021-2025).
- Strengthen SMOH, Private Health Facilities Registration and Regulating Authority (PHFMLA) and a multi-disciplinary team to lead private sector regulation discussions and oversee coordination and operationalization efforts.
- Support SMOH to draft terms of reference, support kick-off meeting, development of annual workplan, and quarterly meetings of multi-disciplinary team to lead private sector engagement in Sokoto.
- Support the SMOH/PHFMLA in developing an operational plan for the SMOH/PHFMLA unit and the multidisciplinary team.
- Support SMOH/PHFMLA in the development of a capacity building plan that allows for planning for adequate resources and staffing and setting of short- and medium-term goals.
- Conduct training for the SMOH/PHFMLA and the multidisciplinary team members to operationalize the PSE strategy.
- Master’s degree in business administration, economics, public administration, public health, pharmacy or a relevant field.
- At least 10 years of experience in strengthening government stewardship, systems strengthening, policy/strategy development in health or other sectors in Nigeria.
- Experience of working with private sector required.
- Experience in multi-sectoral coordination and networking with a diverse range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated strategic ability, written and oral communication, and negotiation skills.
- Good computer skills (Microsoft Office, email, internet)
- Fluency in English and Hausa.
- Resides in Sokoto State or can stay in Sokoto throughout the consultancy period
How to Apply
To apply, please submit the following documents:
- A one-page summary cover letter outlining your experience with respect to private sector engagements or strengthening public-private collaborations.
- Your CV
Send your application documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with PSE Advisor: STTA Consultancy as the subject line.
Application deadline is June 4, 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information, please visit our website www.pharmaccess.org