Vacancy: Program Manager, PharmAccess Nigeria (Fulltime)
The PharmAccess Group
PharmAccess Group is an international technical assistance organization that designs and implements demand- and supplyside interventions for inclusive health markets to improve access to affordable and quality healthcare for low-income populations of sub-Saharan Africa. Our range of interventions/solutions include development of demand-side financing frameworks (not limited to health insurance), SafeCare quality standards and the Medical Credit Fund (which provides business advisory support and facilitates loans to the private health sector working with partner financial institutions) and technological innovations such as CarePay (a health data exchange platform for scheme operations).
PharmAccess is involved in a donor funded project in 5 states, majority of which are in Northern Nigeria, to identify and support rapid scale-up of proven interventions through improvement of service delivery and strengthening of health systems. The program is designed to contribute to state-level reductions in child and maternal morbidity and mortality and to increase the capacity of health systems (public and private sectors) to sustainably support high-quality primary healthcare centers for integrated reproductive, maternal, newborn, child, and adolescent health, plus nutrition and malaria (RMNCAH+NM) services. The project works closely with state-level government officials to support established state-level Health and Development Plans, build capacity, and promote ownership of interventions, systems, and results.
The Program Manager will be involved in activities centered on improving private sector engagement in various Task Orders (TOs). The candidate will also provide technical assistance to state actors to improve the ability of private health providers to provide high-quality RMNCH+NM services to target populations.
• Consult with and report to respective State Directors, Project Partners, PharmAccess Foundation HQ through the PharmAccess Program Director on project implementation progress and challenges for each TO.
• Develop concept notes where necessary to kickstart activity implementation, develop data collection instruments and seek Institutional Review Board (IRB) approvals for study or survey related activities in the PAF Project workplan.
• Carry out data collection exercises where necessary in collaboration with engaged consultants, the Project State teams, the SMOH and other regulators, private sector stakeholders (health and non-health) and partners. Lead data analysis and report writing of these studies or surveys in collaboration with engaged consultants.
• Recruit, train and supervise data collectors for study or survey activities in collaboration with the State teams and the SMOH.
• Arrange to present findings of data collection exercises to the Project, SMOH, SPHCDA, private health sector associations, implementing partners and other relevant stakeholders.
• Develop workplans and budget for the various TOs under the Project in conjunction with all business units of PharmAccess Foundation and its affiliates.
• Consult and liaise with PharmAccess Foundation Directors and team through the Program Director to ensure their respective activities are carried out and reported according to the workplan.
• Lead workshops/training preparations as needed in close collaboration with the SMOH, health and non-health private
sector, respective Project state teams, engaged consultants and the various business units within PharmAccess Foundation. This would also include ensuring that proper protocols are followed for government officials, invitations, etc.
• Lead the development of new and review of existing guidelines, SOPs, and policies in relation to private health sector regulation, access to finance initiatives and establishment/implementation of state-wide health insurance schemes in conjunction with Project, governments and other relevant stakeholders in each State.
• Write quarterly and annual reports detailing progress narrative, implementation status of all activities, challenges and proffered solutions, and where necessary, M&E update. Report will also include progress on stakeholder involvement, pictures and lessons learned.
• Work closely with the Project Private Health Sector Development Advisor on the development of a Private Sector Engagement (PSE) strategy in each Project state. This involves:
o Organizing and facilitating plenary sessions between Project, senior officials from the government, private health sector and partners.
o Working closely with the SMOH and Project to develop and finalize the outline/framework of the strategy and presentation of findings of the framework to the taskforce and relevant stakeholders.
o Organize and facilitate various stakeholder engagement workshops between the government, the private sector (health and non-health) and other relevant partners on key on how to increase private sector engagement in the health sector.
Qualification & Requirements
• Master’s degree in public health, public policy, or related discipline.
• At least 10 years of experience in health system’s strengthening, quality improvement initiatives, health financing, advocacy, and government stewardship.
• Experience of working with private sector.
• Experience in conducting quantitative and qualitative research and excellent report writing skills.
• Demonstrated strategic ability, written and oral communication, and negotiation skills.
• Fluency in English. Hausa fluency will be an added advantage.
• Experience with technical assistance for programs funded by international development agencies in developing countries, with significant Northern Nigeria experience.
• Demonstrated technical depth and understanding of the health policy environment and governance in Nigeria, particularly in the Northern Nigeria.
• Good knowledge of quality improvement approaches in healthcare and data management processes
• Capable of interacting professionally and constructively with facility managers, clinic staff and others.
• Experience in coordination and collaboration with stakeholders including government agencies, institutions, the private sector (health and non-health), and CSOs.
• Excellent interpersonal and team-building skills, ability to work effectively with different levels of professional cadres
• Proven planning, coordination and critical thinking skills with an eye for detail
• Proficient in Microsoft office suite, databases, and web applications
• Awareness of relevant trends and new (mobile) technologies in healthcare
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English; working knowledge of Hausa and other local languages
PharmAccess Foundation will offer competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience and ability.
PharmAccess is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on any basis.
How to apply
To apply for the position, please submit the following documents:
1. A one-page cover letter describing why you are interested in the position and why you are the ideal candidate for this position
2. Your CV.
Send your application documents via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Program Manager, PharmAccess Nigeria’ as the subject line. The application deadline is Friday, March 19, 2021. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information, please see the website www.pharmaccess.org